Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Game on.

Things are finally getting back into order around here after our vacations. School starts this Monday. I can hardly believe that our summer break is over. I knew it would go fast.

I thought I’d share with you an alarming statistic that I read recently. Beginning at age 35, women start losing about 1% of muscle mass per year. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so if we are more “fat” than we used to be, we aren’t burning as many calories as we did when we were younger. I’ve been noticing that it is harder to lose weight, and harder to even maintain an even weight. I also see that my body composition is not what I would like it to be, meaning I look like I’ve had 3 kids. I’m going to be proactive and try to stop this nasty tendency its tracks. I’m taking on the mission of gaining muscle.

My first goal is to have 13 total body weight training sessions and 10 cardio sessions this month. I started on August 1st. So far I’ve done 2 of each. By October 1st, I have goals of losing inches on specific areas. I won’t scare you with the details. I will, however, share the totals lost on October 1st. I’m not going to be concerned with the scale because muscle weighs a lot, so my weight might not change much at first. Over time, the muscle will help burn off the fat eventually. I'm practicing delayed gratification.

I have been totally blown away by a friend who recently completely changed her body through diet and exercise. She even won 1st place in bikini in a big body building competition. She is a mom of two and was competing against 19 year-olds. The change was inspiring. That being said, I hope that by telling you all of my plans of transformation, it may help me stick with my plans. I’ve been know to completely forget about goals. It will be harder to forget it now that I’ve told you all. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I can't wait to hear the results. I have been working out 5-6 days a week and have not lost any weight. I might try strength training too. Any good suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm reading Sculpting Her Body Perfect by Brad Schoenfeld. I think it is really great because it breaks down the task of getting "really, really" inshape. First it is conditioning, then toning, and then sculpting if you ever even opt to go that route. I think it is fine that you don't lose weight. It will eventually work in your favor due to the higher metabolism extra muscle will give you. Weight training is more important than cardio, although I think it is great to do both.

    ReplyDelete